Mold Damage FAQs
Have questions? We have answers!
Mold Removal FAQ
Health issues related to mold exposure can vary greatly due to variances in mold type, level of exposure, and each individuals genetic pre-disposure to react. Some people may have few to no health effects with moderate exposure to mold type A, but react to mold type B. Some may have extreme reaction to even the most minimal exposure to Mold type A or B. Mold abatement is about eliminating this risk.
Must or mildew smells do typically indicate a problem which requires inspection at the least, it is usually a first sign of larger problems to come. Having an inspection is advised.
The best thing to do is isolate the area and contact a professional for inspection.
You can, however we do not advise it. You can fit 250,000 mold spores on the head of a pin. The issue with cleaning them yourself becomes proper containment. You do not want to cross contaminate other areas in your home.
Everyone reacts differently, to different types, and at different levels of exposure. The point of mold abatement is to minimize and or eliminate the risk of adverse health conditions.
We do not recommend that as your starting point. The EPA only recommends air duct cleaning if you have excessive/extreme levels of dust inside them, or they have tested positive for microbial growth. A deep cleaning of your home, including having your carpets cleaned (carpets are actually the largest air filter in your home) is what we recommend prior to spending thousands on duct cleaning. If a problem still remains, air quality testing is the next step.
Killing mold alone does not remove the risk. Dead mold can still cause reactions and remain a health risk. Removing the actual physical entities, these microscopic organisms themselves from your home, whether they are hyphal, dormant, alive, or dead, is the only way to minimize and or eliminate health risks.
Proper protocol requires testing before work begins, as well as after work is complete (clearance testing). Your clearance testing shows whether the abatement was successful or not.
There is so much bad DIY info on this topic - odds are something in their directions is going to cause you problems or put you at risk to cross contaminate.
Landlords are required by law to maintain safe and reasonable living conditions. We suggest contacting the Indiana Department of Health, and or Code Enforcements.